Friday, October 16, 2009

The Night Before...

Less than 5 hours before we're supposed to leave, and I can't sleep at all. I'm excited, nervous, anxious (in a good way), caffeine-enhanced, exhilerated, motivated, and 15 other emotions that I can't explain.

I'm fully packed. No more errands to run. No more face paint to buy. No more emails to send. I'm ready to go. And the students are also! We had dinner tonight at J.P. Looney's in High Point, played a little trivia, and tied up all of our loose ends. Then at 7:30pm, we went our separate ways. Some to sleep, some to finish packing, and some to Walmart. I went home to do 3 loads of laundry and hope everything gets dry before I leave.

While we're gone, we'll be keeping notes in a journal, discussing the days' events, and getting prepared for our Kids Day entertainment: tug-of-war, jump rope, relay races, balloon shapes, face painting, and more!

A big "thanks" to Amanda Holcomb from HPU's Visual Arts Guild (formerly known as the Art Club) and Ami Shupe from HPU's Performing Arts faculty for the face-painting tips. I hope we do you proud!

A last-minute conversation with Doug (high school friend and resident Guatemalan "expert") reminded me to carry toilet paper with me everywhere... AND DON'T DRINK THE WATER... DON'T ASK FOR ICE... DON'T LET FRUIT TOUCH MY LIPS... DON'T LET A CUTE CHILD PICK MY POCKET... DON'T PAY THE ASKING PRICE... DON'T... DON'T... DON'T... And then he said I would see the most beautiful sights and the saddest sights I've ever seen, often at the same time. I am humbled (and thankful for what I have) just thinking about it.

We'll be bringing home hundreds of photos and thousands of stories! Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment